Saturday, August 14, 2010

Real life real soon

Well the new job officially starts on Monday! Wow! Everything in life is coming together and happening so fast it's almost hard to take it all in!  I truly could not be any happier to have all of the opportunities that I have been faced with over the past few months (or throughout my entire life for that matter)! My first shift begins Monday at 6 am. Hellloooo wake up call! My position at the Westin is the Outlets (Food & Beverages) Supervisor which means I will be overseeing the restaurant/bar/minibar/room service. Since both the individuals who were most recently in this position have been given promotions within the hotel, they need their new supervisors to start ASAP. The only problem is, they have yet to find supervisor #2 so I am diving right in! I feel like many of the things I do start out like this, yet I sort of like it because I'd rather jump right in and learn everything hands on (to some the hard way) as opposed to getting my feet a little wet and slowly learning the ropes. Don't get me wrong, there will be a lot of rope learning to be had in the next few weeks, but taking things face first will be the best way of doing it. It's going to be hard and probably a little rough at first, but to me that will only make things easier in the long run. There are two shifts a day for the supervisors and manager, one being 6 am - 2 pm and the other being 3 pm - 11 pm. Therefore, I am either working morning or night. It's kind of nice because the schedule will fluctuate and no matter which shift, I still have a full day to do other things whether it be in the morning or in the afternoon. It's certainly not a 9-5 job, that's for sure, but with what I want to do (plan events!) I might as well start getting used to it now! I will be saying goodbye to full fledged weekends for quite some time as we are given two days off each week, but it's always two different days (not your typical Saturday/Sunday weekend). I am excited about all of it though because it will be such a new and different experience and opportunity, and I cannot wait to see what it's all about! Luckily, I did not have to start in the midst of all of this weekend's Cards/Cubs madness downtown because with the Westin being directly across from the stadium, many people head there before or after the games. That would have been a lot to take in for day one with such a crazy downtown atmosphere the Cardinals and Cubs would have to offer! Although, it would have been fun because I was hoping to be downtown amidst all the madness, but they will be back in September so I am hoping to either some how snag some tickets, or hopefully I will be working! Since we get two days off each week, one of my two days off this week is somehow luckily Tuesday, which is my birthday! When asked which days I would like off, my manager suggested Tuesday may be a good day, and I proceeded to tell her that she was right, and that was my birthday : ) Lucky me! Not that I have any big plans for the big 2-3, but it will be a nice little present not having to worry about working that day! 
I can't wait to start off this new venture in my life! As always, I will of course keep you posted with more details. I was wondering when the next chapter in my life would officially begin, and I would say that this is it! I am going to be busy having a full time job, while also still doing some part time work with Performance Plus and Metromix whenever possible, but I am willing to make it happen (the same way I have done everything throughout my entire life!), and I cannot wait to see what outcomes these great continuing opportunities will bring me! 
Hello real life!! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment