Thursday, September 30, 2010

“Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens.”

Sex and the City, you're just too dang good. Do you ever come across quotes that do nothing other than inspire you? So many quotes that I read or hear have some way of coming into my life and inspiring me in one way or another. Based on my love for Sex and the City, I've heard this one a time or two before, but came across it once again tonight. At the perfect time. 



“Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens.” - Sex and the City.


This quote couldn't be any more motivating at a time like this. After so much time spent knowing just what I want to do when I "grow up"...then not totally knowing...but then totally knowing...I've come to a point where I'm not sure whether I do know or not!? This past year, especially, has been weird for me. It hasn't been bad, just weird. Different. Lots of obstacles to face along the way, and I do like obstacles, but I think it comes to a point where one can only take so much, and then she just needs to stop to look around, and maybe even say no every once in a while. 

Just like the quote reads, sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past. What has happened in the past has happened, whether it be good or bad or something ultimately life changing, but there is nothing that we can do to change the past so we need to find a way to live with what the past has given us, and move on into the future. After all, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and even if we've made mistakes along the way, we take something and learn something from them to further help us in the future and lead us to where we want and/or need to be. 

We need to stop planning the future. This is hard for me. I have a hard time living day to day (heck, even hour to hour!) without having some sort of a plan. I need to learn, and am working at this, that sometimes it is alright to go with the flow and not have every second of every day of my life planned out. Based on what happens in my life each day, I suddenly plot out a whole new plan for my future and where I will be in how many years, etc. I have no idea where my life will lead me 6 months from now. How am I supposed to plan for that!? I of course want to have goals for my future, but to have it planned out to a tee (I'm talking where I live, where I work and in what position, being in another city, how soon kids will come...etc.) is probably something that I need to take day by day. What's meant to happen will happen, and it will be right for me, and if it's not, I'll figure out how to make it that way. (Side note...One thing I DO indeed know for sure, though, is that I will be married to the man of my dreams in less than NINE months!! :) ) 

Stop figuring out precisely how we feel. This is another tough one because lately I can't seem to figure out how I feel about a lot of things, especially with so many big life changes that have happened in the past year, all of which are beyond exciting, but it's still a lot to take in so fast! (No worries though, I know if there is one thing I do feel it is definitely EXCITED!!...Just trying to figure out all of the other emotions in the meantime! : ) ) 

Stop deciding exactly what we want. Again, I don't know what exactly I want anymore. Like I said, I tend to always think I have my whole life planned out, and I know exactly what I want and what I will have, but the way that things can change so quickly makes my opinion change on that as well. I honestly don't know exactly what I want with my life, like I thought I did, and for now, I'm just going to keep it that way. While I do what I can to figure out just what that may be, in the meantime, I'm just going to stick with not knowing for a while. Another new one for me, but for today, I don't think I really mind it all too much. I do know that ultimately I would love love LOVE to have my own event planning company, but that will take time, and lots of experience...so that leads me back to figuring things out along the way. (I also want to write a book! So that's two things right there I suppose :) ) 

And just see what happens. Here's where I just let life take hold of me and lead me in the direction I am supposed to be going. I'm going to try to not have a solid plan for once in my life and wait things out [for possibly the first time ever] and just see where life may lead. It's going to definitely take some time, and I of course know that I will not be able to say no to planning and deciding and analyzing for very long (It's in my nature...I can't just completely kick it to the curb ; )  ), but for today, it seems to be the best solution, and I think it will help lead me somewhere, wherever that may be. Oh the simple joys of [POSTGRAD] life, huh!? No one said it would be easy, that's for sure, but in the end, it will all be worth it. Life's a journey. Along the way, I'm going to just keep on living. And watching Sex and the City of course : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment